Thursday, May 24, 2012

Reunion Angst....Should I stay (home) or go?

I've asked friends on facebook & in real life what their thoughts are on attending their class reunion. Some of our class can't attend because of family obligations, life obligations or they choose not to. So this got me thinking, are class reunions important, what makes some people really want to attend & others run away ? I found a great article in the Chicago Times by Clarence Page "Why Class Reunions Matter So Much" that made me think. Mr. Page states "High school is where we begin to shape the adults we are about to become for the rest of our lives. It is a monstrous task confronted by complete amateurs. I would not face it again if you paid me in Powerball winnings." Amen! But that being said, I am looking forward to seeing all those who attend the BCHS Class of '82 reunion. Some of those I have asked the question about attending their high school reunion responded enthusiastically that they could not wait to go - it was fun to see old friends, catch up and share old stories with those who were there, at that place in time in their lives. That although they have moved on, are not that high school kid there is still something important about re-connecting. Others said that it was a non-issue. They have moved on, have no desire to attend & felt like they would not be missed anyhow. This response came from people who graduated in a class of over 1,200 and from our class as well. Although I can't speak for the bigger schools, I feel like classmates who don't attend our reunion will be missed. I respect anyone who chooses not to attend, it is their choice. I am on the side of looking forward to seeing people, finding out who they have become, what they are doing. And facebook has allowed me to re-connect with many of our classmates, there is nothing like seeing someone face to face. I doubt anyone is not somewhat nervous about the first event, Friday night at the back bar of the Metlen but after that first 5 minutes of angst,  I know my anxiety will go away & be replaced by the joy of seeing old friends & class mates. So if you are on the fence about attending, please consider how much potential fun you can have. All of us have changed over the last 30 years; we all most likely have greyer hair, more wrinkles & can't fit into our high school jeans.  But we are still young at heart, have great stories to tell & will have a great time. The reunion will be what you make it but I promise that those of us there will be happy to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment